Kitchen Chronicles : Miso Soup

Monday, June 23, 2014

If there's another kind of food I love more than Filipino food, it's Japanese! I love sushi, teriyaki, katsudon, name it and most probably, I love it. And any Japanese meal would be incomplete (at least for me) without Miso soup! It can be the cheapest thing on the menu and it can also be a bit pricey, depends on the restaurant really. Since I love it, I wanted to know how to make it. 

Before I proceed with the recipe, can I just rant about the weather? Earlier, there was a thunderstorm and I had to cancel a very important meeting. After an hour, the heat started to intensify making the weather ultimately humid. UGHHH! Buuuut, this recipe is perfect if you get one of those perfect and cold rainy morning, without the weather getting bipolar. Let's start! 

This soup only has 5 ingredients, well, at least the one I make. So It'll be very convenient for you to remember these when you go grocery shopping next time. Most of these can be found in the Asian corner of your local Supermarket. For this recipe, you'll need the following ingredients :

Ingredients
  • Miso Paste
  • Dried Seaweed
  • Fish broth ( I didn't have Dashi)
  • Soft Tofu
  • Scallions
Procedure
1. Boil water in a pot then add fish cubes. 
2. After the fish cubes have dissolved, adjust heat to medium low then add your Miso Paste. 
3. Bring to a simmer for about 2 mins then add tofu. 
4. Hydrate your seaweed for 10mins before adding them to the pot. 
5. Top with scallions before serving. 

I've read several ways to dilute the Miso paste but I just put it as it is. It doesn't really make any difference for me, plus it's easier to adjust the taste. Again, no measurements. Just adjust the taste as needed. I like mine quite salty so I put in a lot of Miso paste. It's very easy and somehow fool-proof because you can always adjust the ingredients!


I'm getting sleepy while listening to Macy Gray, it also bring back college memories. Young, immature days that sometimes you really want to bring back, and some days you just want to forget. LOL. Anyhoo, I'm off to make one of my easiest dinner recipes because I'm too lazy to cook. Ohhh, for those who are working, wish you didn't have such a sucky Monday. Have a great week, people of the intarwebs! 

post signature

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Subscribe

SnapWidget