Conquering Cebu : Poblacion, Oslob

Tuesday, February 23, 2016

Hi, guys! So I just got back from Davao and I'm thrilled to tell you all about my adventure! Unfortunately, I still have backlogs from my Cebu trip, lol! Yep, Master Procrastinator here. So let's have a head start with the first leg of our trip! We wanted to go to Cebu since swimming with the Whale Sharks has been one of the things I can never seem to cross out of my imaginary bucket list. Lol, I don't really have a bucket list. Just random things I want to do, haha! And as luck would have it, the boyfriend has been wanting to do it too! I'm telling you, this guy is my travel soul mate . I never had the chance to do it in the past because my partner then wasn't as enthusiastic with the idea, and I was scared to travel alone. But hey, here we are! 

Before I begin talking about the places we visited, the second photo is our first meal in Cebu, haha! Upon landing, we didn't get a chance to eat since we didn't know the schedule of the buses bound for Oslob. Our first meal was below P100! Can you believe that? Of course we still had dinner, but this meal filled us up to the core. We had Fried Chicken, Barbeque, Pork and Chicken intestines, Puso (steamed rice wrapped in banana leaves)  and they served us with a dipping sauce with a lot of onions. God, I love onions. The moment I had my first bite, I knew I'll be loving this place.

Oslob Heritage Park
The Oslob Heritage Park is a long stretch of green, grassy area facing the ocean. It's a lot like Manila bay but way cleaner and with less people. It's a nice place to breathe, take a walk or a stroll, go for a run, or simply sit and watch the sunrise. It's also not overcrowded with vendors despite having a church nearby. I only saw about 2-3 vendors while strolling the place. 

Cuartel 
The Cuartel stands right at the intersection of Calle Aeternidad and at the end of Calle Aragones. It's an unfinished building that resembles Spanish-era barracks made of vibrant coral blocks. It was reallt intended to be a cuartel; or barracks for Spanish soldiers or Guardia Civil. It was started in 1860, but remained unfinished due to the end of the Spanish occupation in 1898. There's not much to do around the building but to admire the architecture and think about how old the structure is. The history that surrounds it makes it more interesting. 

Church of the Immaculate Conception 
Oslob was set up as a visita of Boljoon in 1690 and turned into a free area in 1848 with the Immaculate Conception as its patroness. The present-day church of cut coral stone was begun in 1830 and completed 18 years after the fact. The braces that were included somewhere around 1848 and 1850. The nearby chime tower was implicit 1858. The congregation was torched amid the Second World War freeing Philippine Commonwealth troops and Cebuano guerillas against the Japanese in Oslob in 1945, and 1955 however was in the long run restored. Outside the dividers are the remaining parts of a watchtower, one of the numerous that line the southeastern shore of the Cebu.The church is associated with the area house or convento that still has its unique mud tiled rooftop. Over the street from the congregation is the previous morgue house of prayer with a pediment enriched with a help of a human skeleton. North of the complex is a little street that prompts the old burial ground. 

In 2008, a flame gutted the church's inside, including the sacrificial table and adjoining parsonage, yet it saved the picture of Our Lady of Immaculate Conception, which is inside a glass case, and the 73 different symbols close to the way to the ringer tower.

The drive to Oslob felt like a really long drive. Good thing we had a talkative local sitting beside us who told us all of the things we needed to know to enjoy Oslob. Once the strenuous 4-hour drive was over, we immediately looked for a place to eat. And since I love street food so much and it's the first thing we saw, we decided to fine al fresco along the highway--while buses, jeepneys and tricycles are passing by LOL. After going around Poblacion, the Habal habal driver who drove us around also offered to help us find a place in Tan-Awan. On my next post, I'll tell you all about Tan-Awan and the actual Whale Shark watching activity we had. For now, I have to get back to work, haha! Too many back logs from last week. Hope you're all having an awesome Tuesdday!

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Subscribe

SnapWidget