Taking Gifting To The Next Level

Wednesday, November 11, 2015

I had the gloomiest Christmas experience last year. Ending my 7-yr relationship wasn't easy but it was something that was long overdue and it had to be done. As I've mentioned, if you're unhappy--leave. But always, always do it the right way. That incident happening at the most wonderful time of the year was extremely difficult. Everyone was excited for the holidays, and I didn't want to be the grinch spreading bad vibes all over. I had to put a face on so as not to influence anyone with my sadness. Truth be told, I honestly didn't want to be a burden to anyone. I didn't even tell my family and friends. 

After a while, I realized that despair was starting to consume me. Despite trying my hardest to be apathetic towards what was happening, I couldn't. I was a ticking time bomb. I had to tell someone. I first told my family about it, and after a few days, I told my friends. It felt so good share what I was going through with other people. Their support was overwhelming and I couldn't be more thankful that I have a supportive and understanding family and a bunch of crazy friends willing to cheer me and just be there to listen whenever and wherever. 

With that, I want to turn things around this year by giving back. It's a given that I'd fight to death if you cross my family or any of my friends. But it's a comforting thought that while I may not be as rich as I'd want to be at this point, but I'm still fully capable of giving them something tangible; as a reminder that I'll forever be thankful that I was born with such a loving family, and that I came across this group of insane people on my way to climbing the corporate ladder. 

So let me introduce you to my family. This photo was taken from last year's Christmas. Can you even tell that I was going through something difficult and painful? I'd say nah. Thanks to the people in this photo; my Dad, my Mom and my three awesome sisters. If there is something I wouldn't forget about what happened to me last year, it is to love myself more. That advice came from my Dad. He's only the best Dad ever. 

Since my Dad couldn't reiterate more that I have to love myself more, I made it this year's resolution to keep it as a promise. I started doing the things I used to love. I started to invest on things I've been putting off because people would usually put down the idea. And I started to do things that makes me feel better about myself. So, shall we start with my Christmas Wishlist?

1 | Apple iPhone 6s
I'm a slave to Apple. No matter how difficult it is to transfer photos, videos and music, I always fall for their marketing tactics. Even if their USB cables break endlessly, I still find myself obsessing over their latest release. I'm getting this one for myself. It's still on my wish list because Smart hasn't delivered the item yet. But can't wait to get it and bring it along with me on my Cebu trip over the weekend!

2 | Stand Mixer
Baking is one of the things I've been dying to try but haven't quite gotten around to doing since I don't have the necessary equipment. I got myself an oven last year, and I started with baking simple dishes. Next year, I want to take my baking skills to the next level by going for pastries! They say baking pastries is a tedious process because unlike cooking, you have to get down the ingredients down to the last detail. You can't add salt once a cupcake is baked nor over mix your cream because it won't have the same consistency. With that, I really wish I get this for Christmas.

3 | Herschel Backpack
Since the breakup, I've been travelling more. Not only to explore the Philippines but also to explore and understand myself more. Earlier this year, I took a trip to Sagada and I had to bring 3 bags with me because all my things won't fit in my usual backpack. This bag would be perfect for my travels; whether at the beach or in the mountains. 

4 | Baking Pan
I've been using the baking tray that came with my oven for practically anything. I've used it on chicken, beef, pork and vegetables. I've been dying to try some basic pastries like brownies but my baking tray won't cut it, LOL. This will also help me improve my baking craft. 

5 | GoPro Hero 4
I know this one is quite pricey and I should be getting it for myself, but hey, there's no harm in wishing someone else gives it to me, right? LOL. An action cam has been on my wish list for quite some time but I don't see the point of getting one for myself since I already have a DSLR. I think it's an item that's nice to have but it's not really a priority since I have my old and trusted D90. A GoPro definitely leaves me with endless amazing shots on the beach which is why I'm putting it up on this year's wish list. 

As mentioned, my family has been the cornerstone of the emotional roller coaster that was my breakup. I want to shower them not just with support, love and understanding but also with things that I think can be of help to them. If I had the money, I'd buy my parents a house, LOL. But since I'm not quite there yet, here are some of the things they're asking me for Christmas!

1 | Ab Rocket
Both my parents (especially my dad) have been health freaks since they retired. My Mom is trying to eat healthier and she's into gardening, while my Dad works out everyday and is obsessed with biking. Our house has actually turned into some sort of min-gym because of the equipment they've been getting for themselves. This year, they want to add this Ab Rocket to their collection. 

2 | Jacket
My sister Ney is studying to be a doctor in SLU. She doesn't have a lot of time to do things that interest her since she mostly eats, studies and sleeps (if she ever gets any LOL). For Christmas, she just want a simple yet stylish jacket that she can wear in school. 

3 | Keds Sneakers
My sister Polly on the other hand loves shoes to death. She usually allots some of her allowance so she can reward herself with a pair every now and then. Despite her obsession with shoes, she still maintains her grade in school. She's actually doing really well since she was a University Scholar last semester. I'm proud of this little monster even if she's now bigger than I am. I also thin she deserves a cute pair for Christmas. 

4 | Nike Roshe Run
Unlike me, my sister Kat is quite obsessed with fitness. She devotes most of her time running, climbing mountains or doing Zumba, hahaha. At times, these activities are requirement for work, but she mostly does them because she's super conscious about her figure. She's skinnier than I am but always complains about having a big tummy. I want to introduce her to Tina, my talking tummy. Get the White Chicks reference? Hehe. This year, she's asking for a pair of Nike Roshe Run. 

I may not be as financially stable as I want to be at this point, but I still want to give to others. In the past, I thought charitable works were always done with an ulterior motive. After a soul searching expedition in Sagada earlier this year, I have come to realize that being selfless is one of the best feelings in the world. I may not be materially rich but I would love to share some of the life lessons I've learned throughout the whole ordeal. 

1 | It's okay to be sad and tell someone about it. 
I rarely show my emotions to people I don't know. Most people think I'm a snob because I don't usually talk to people unless I know them. I also rarely share my problems with friends and family. I'd rather tell them once I've resolved it so as not to be a burden to anyone. Since I've managed for the longest time to always keep a face on, opening up myself and being vulnerable was extremely hard. I was overthinking all the time thinking what my family and friends would think about me. In the end, it was all good. Know that there will always be someone who will always be there for you. 

2 | If you're unhappy, leave. 
I've been standing by this mantra since last year. I'm the girl who hates change. I love routines. Veering from something I've been used to has always been hard. But last year, it had to be done. This applies for work, a toxic relationship, or something that you keep doing despite being unhappy about it. Love yourself. Life is too short to be doing things we don't love doing. Life is too short to be working on a job that's not going to help you fulfill your future goals. And life is too short to be with someone who does you more harm than good. 

3 | You are special. 
You may work a 9-5 job and do the same things over and over but know that you are special. You may not have a special talent or you may not be good at anything but you are special. Your boss or peers may not see it, but you are. You have to realize on your own that you are. Once you start doing so, the rest will follow. 

One other thing that you can do to give back to others is by joining Merry SM Christmas Campaign and SM Christmas Bears of Joy. For just P200, you get to keep one bear and donate the other one to children from various orphanages and charitable institutions through the SM Cares Program. Remember, not everyone is fortunate enough to have a loving and supportive family with them on Christmas. I'm so lucky I have my own crazy bunch. Let's all be self less and give back with our own little ways.  

 “For more updates about this year’s “Merry SM Christmas” campaign, visit SM’s official Christmas microsite (https://www.smsupermalls.com/merrysmchristmas2015) and follow its official social media accounts at Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/smsupermalls), Twitter (https://twitter.com/smsupermalls), and Instagram (https://instagram.com/smsupermalls/); and get an insider access to all the fun happenings at SM Supermalls nationwide through Viber (http://chats.viber.com/SMsupermalls). Shoppers can actively share their holiday merriments inside the SM Supermalls by posting their photos on social media and adding the hashtag #MerrySMChristmas2015.”

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Subscribe

SnapWidget