Kitchen Chronicles : Homemade Tomato Sauce

Wednesday, June 04, 2014

I just got back from a lovely date with the boyfriend and I'm currently cuddling with him while watching Orphan Black. I'll talk more about this new TV show I'm addicted to on a separate post, but right now, I just want to talk about how happy and satisfied I am. I'm not content because I'm still unemployed and I'm on an endless spending spree and may lose money in the next 4-5 months, buuuuut, I have all the love and support that I need. I control my own time, I don't have to put up with bullshit anymore and I can go on but I know you get my point. That liberating feeling knowing that I made a stand to move because, well, I'm not a robot. And I'm entitled to be happy and live life the way I want to. I hope when I become penniless in the next 4-5 months I can still stick to this, lol. Moving on to the recipe...
I used to dislike the genuine taste of tomatoes when I was younger. I make sure that I remove it from anything that I eat, much more with my Spaghetti! Back then the only Spaghetti I ate was the filipino-style spaghetti which is sweet and loaded with cheese and hotdogs! I started experimenting with different pasta sauces when I was in College and eventually loved the taste of tomatoes, and tomato sauce of course! Which is why today's recipe will be, drum roll please, homemade tomato sauce! You can choose to modify this anyway you want, depending on the taste you prefer. Let's begin!

I've made this sauce several times and altered the taste depending on the meat or pasta I'm using. This is also a fool-proof recipe which is why I love doing it. For this recipe, you'll be needing the following ingredients :

Ingredients
  • 16 ounce fresh tomatoes 
  • 1 big onion (I love onions!)
  • 3 cloves of garlic
  • Dried basil
  • Salt and Pepper
  • Olive Oil
  • Parsley (optional)
Procedure
  1. Chop your tomatoes into small pieces and crush them using a mesh collander or food processor. 
  2. Saute your onion and garlic for about 1-2 minutes, then add your tomatoes. 
  3. Add basil, salt and pepper. Adjust accordingly. 
  4. Adjust the heat to low and simmer for 2 hrs. Stir every 20 minutes. 
  5. After 2hrs, turn off the heat and let it cool off before transferring to a container. 
As you can see in my photos, I didn't completely crush my tomatoes because I like a little texture in my sauce. The consistency of the tomatoes and onions also depends on you, I prefer mine this way so it adds more texture when mixed with pasta. I prefer serving this with meatballs or Italian sausages with some caramelized onions on the side.

There you have it! Healthy and easy at the same time. I can't say it's quick because you have to wait for 2hrs but I guarantee the taste will be awesome. I would love to talk more about what happened to me over the weekend but the weather is inviting me to go back to bed. Aaaaah, this is so counter-productive, but who cares? I definitely don't. I'll be more productive tomorrow to make up for slacking off tonight, hahaha! Goodnight, loves! 
post signature

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Subscribe

SnapWidget