Trying Pancit Batil Patung For The First Time

Monday, August 26, 2019

Studying in UP opened my eyes to the different ethno-lingustic sub-groups we have here in the Philippines. Not only was I made aware of the sun-culture but I was also introduced into the wonderful world of regional food. Having had most of my education in Baguio, I embraced the amazing diversity with Cordilleran food and along side it the fascination for Northern food came along. One dish in particular that has caught my eye through the years is Pancit Batil Patung--which I always see on one of my friends from Tuguegarao. It seems tedious to eat with all the additional ingredients but at the same time looks amazingly sumptuous too.

Pancit Batil Patung is an unusual noodle dish with a sauce based on soy and "cara-beef" beef broth. It is served with two piquant side dishes: a cup of egg-drop soup made with the same cara-beef broth; and a dish of chopped onions, vinegar or calamansi, chili peppers and soy sauce. The noodles are usually wheat-based and are topped with ground cara-beef, pork liver, mung bean sprouts, and poached egg from whence the name batil patong, literally "scrambled and placed on top" is thought to be derived. Sometimes, other vegetables, crushed pork-rind cracklings or chorizo are also added on top. Soup was served separately.(via wiki)

THE PLACE
Well technically I didn't visit the actual restaurant since I ordered via Zomato, and yes, Zomato now delivers! Anyway as mentioned. I have been craving for this even if I haven't tasted it yet so I took advantage of Zomato's delivery. No minimum order and no delivery fees, I think that's a steal. I was supposed to order via FoodPanda but for some odd reason they didn'thave this available on their selection just like Grab food but Zomato did. 

Pancit Center is the name of the place I ordered from. They have a huge variety of pancit from different regions. From Pancit Cabagan to Pancit Pusit, name it and they probably have it. I asked my friends from Instagram for recos and this place came highly recommended hence it being my first choice. 
THE FOOD
Okay so I've never tasted this dish before but I researched how it should be eaten thoroughly. I watched several videos and also asked some of my friends. I came prepared with my beef broth and calamansi, soy sauce and onions on the side. I had my first bite and--it felt underwhelming. I received such high praises for this dish which is why I question, it can't be this underwhelming? It was salty even when I added the dip with soy and calamansi. I tried eating a lot of onions to balance the taste but it just wasn't making the cut. And while I still believe that Pancit batil patung is an extemely sumptuous dish, I don't think Pancit Center is the best plaee to have it. 
Would I be back? Probably to try their other regional pancit offerings but not for their pancit batil patung. Something was just missing. Either I try it in Tuguegarao or one of these carinderias that my friends from the north actually swear by. Have you tried Pancit Batil Patung? How is it really supposed to taste??


PANCIT CENTER
Budget : P300 approx. for 2 people
Open daily : 10AM - 10PM
PMC Building, C. Raymundo Street, Rosario, Pasig City
Pancit Center Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Subscribe

SnapWidget