Kitchen Chronicles : Kimchi Jjigae

Monday, December 26, 2016

I've been sorely addicted to Korean food lately. This all started a few weeks before our office Christmas party. I was about to perform in front of thousands of people from the office and I just realized how much of a fat ass I've been. I haven't been watching what I eat nor have I been doing my monthly detox. For everyone's knowledge, I've completely given up on working out. I try a few new things related to working out every now and then, but I just know that it's not for me, lol. Unless it's a workout that involves dancing but is not Zumba? Anyone? Haha!

Anyway, aside from preparing for that party. I've been feeling really bloated and unhealthy from all the eating and drinking I've been doing these past few months. I decided to start eating clean--not really go on a diet or detox, ~try~ and embrace a life of clean eating. Luckily, Asian food is the best when it comes to clean and healthy eating! We have such a variety of cuisines to choose from which makes eating clean and healthy fun! I've been obsessing on several Asian cuisines lately, and for the past weeks my cuisine has been--Korean! Korean dishes contain a lot of veggies and can always do without the meat. For today, I'll be sharing a simple go-to recipe for the upcoming cold days!

INGREDIENTS
Kimchi
Tofu
Meat (sliced thinly)
Onions
Onion Leeks
Gochujang (Korean Hot Pepper Paste)
Gochugaru (Korean Red Chili Powder)
Mushrooms (Enoki, Button, Oyster)

PROCEDURE
1. Saute onions until transparent. 
2. Add pork and cook until golden brown. 
3. Once the pork is golden brown, add about a cup of kimchi. 
4. Saute for about 2 mins, then add about a cup of water. 
5. Add Gochujang and Gochugaru. Not putting any measurements because the dish's spiciness can be mild-super hot depending on your preference. 
6. Add a little salt and sugar, depending on how you want the dish to go. 
7. Add the mushrooms and simmer for about 5-7 minutes. 
8. Once it's boiling add the tofu and simmer for 5 more minutes. 
9. Garnish with onion leeks and serve hot with a cup of white rice!

NOTES
The steps listed here are based on how I would usually cook my Kimchi stew. I've modified the process into a way that fits my taste preference and I love it this way. If you plan to make it, just go ahead and experiment--make it your own! If you'd like to make it vegan, you can skip the meat and replace sugar with Beefree Vegan Honey. Most of the time, I find it hard to find the perfect cut of meat for this dish so I skip it and just take in loads of tofu instead. 

As mentioned, this dish is best served hot--and I mean right off of the stove! I don't know what's with Korean soups and stews but they're best served with tiny little bubbles that shows they're just about to cool off from boiling, lol! I can't quite explain it because I, myself, have trouble biting into a piece of tofu because it's super hot, but I enjoy eating it that way, haha! I have so many bonus tips on eating this dish which is why I'll try to create a video showing you guys how to properly eat it based on the research I made when I was still looking up this recipe. Words can't quite explain the things I would want to share, haha. Hope you get my point. For now, try this at home and let me know what you think!

__________________________________________
Have you tried Kimchi Jjigae/Kimchi Stew before?

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Subscribe

SnapWidget