Kitchen Chronicles : Tuna + Tomato Pasta

Thursday, July 17, 2014

Typhoon Glenda, also known as Rammasun internationally, shook and damaged Manila extremely hard. The skies just started clearing up earlier and I hope everyone's safe. I was smoking outside, around 4AM, when I first felt how strong the storm was. I had to put my cigarette out because I was slammed on the door due to the howling winds and the lashing rain--it was awful and a bit scary. I went back to my room shortly after to get some shuteye and I was awoken by the intense wind at around 7AM because I thought someone was banging the door. Apparently, it was just the wind. I couldn't get proper sleep after that so I started texting relatives and friends because I was starting to worry given the intensity of the storm. I couldn't sleep anymore because the electricity was out. 
After lunch, the boyfriend and I started feeling uncomfortable because it was starting to get hot and it was also quite dark so we decided to go out and charge our devices. Most of the restaurants and coffee shops along Maginhawa were closed but good thing Seattle's Best was open! It became our refuge until the electricity was revived around 9PM. We immediately went to the Supermarket to buy groceries because we didn't have enough food at home, and we were worried because another storm is about to hit the Philippines on Friday. Let's all be safe and ready!

Ingredients
  • Fettuccine (or any pasta of your choice)
  • Canned Tomatoes
  • Butter
  • Onions
  • Garlic
  • Olive Oil
  • Spicy Tuna (I used Century Tuna)
  • Salt and Pepper
  • Parmesan Cheese
Procedure
  1. Heat the pan. Saute garlic and onions with butter and a little olive oil. 
  2. Add 1/4 cup of crushed tomatoes and 2 cans of tuna and saute for about 2mins.
  3. Toss the pasta together with the sauce and voila, you're done!
This is a variation of my Spicy Tuna Pasta. I used canned instead of fresh tomatoes, and added butter instead of just sauteeing in Olive oil. The taste was awesome and surprisingly a whole lot better than my first tuna pasta.

Phew, that was lengthy! I thought of sharing this recipe with you guys because it's quick and easy and this may come in handy during the storm season. Being independent is difficult. But being independent, alone and scared during a storm is harder. I'm thankful that the boyfriend is always by my side during these times. I don't get scared easily but I panic. I panic a lot. Thank God he's always there to keep me sane and make me feel like everything is going to be okay. I've compiled some emergency numbers that may help you guys in any case the same thing happens again, but hopefully it won't. 


It also won't hurt to store food just so if you're stuck home, you won't starve. Please make sure you also have cash on hand because there is a high probability that ATMs are down if the electricity is. Flashlights and batteries should always be available, I prefer them more than candles because I feel they're safer. I also have a habit of charging all of my devices (powerbanks, tablets, cellphones) at night , and it proved to be helpful when the electricity went out the whole day yesterday. Another important thing, make sure someone knows where you are and how you are doing. 

On top of my head, those are the only things I can remember. I'm feeling a bit sleepy now so I'll update this once I think of other things to add. For now, I hope we can all sleep soundly. Tomorrow, we try to get up and help those who need our help. Goodnight!
post signature

You Might Also Like

4 comments

  1. Galing! Dali lang.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can i put real tuna?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course! But I think you'd have to fry that first with some lemon, salt and pepper so it has a bit of flavour to it.

      Delete

Subscribe

SnapWidget