Kitchen Chronicles : Chicken Tinola

Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Hello! First off, I'm hoping everyone's high and dry as of this writing. The rain has been crazy! I was on holiday yesterday (Quezon City day) and I missed work today because of this evil rain/typhoon/monsoon! According to weather forecasts, we're expecting rain until Thursday--I'm hoping though that everyone's still safe by then. I'm supposed to come back from that mini hiatus with a bang but I don't think this is the right time. I'll have that lengthy explanation on my next post.

I was starving when I woke up, first things first, I checked if the streets were okay--and they weren't. I texted my boss and told her I won't be coming in today. Second thought, do we have food? No. I was thinking of something perfect for this typhoon-y weather, checked the fridge and we have Sayote (Chayote/Vegetable Pear) and Chicken--instant Tinola

Ingredients
  • Chicken legs / Chicken thighs
  • Sayote or Green Papaya
  • Dahon ng Sili (Chili Pepper Leaves) or Malunggay 
  • Chicken Broth
  • Salt (to taste) or fish sauce
  • Garlic
  • Onion
  • Ginger
Procedure
  1. Saute garlic, onion, ginger & chicken. Wait 'til your chicken turns light brown, but don't burn it!
  2. Add chicken broth and simmer for 5mins. 
  3. Add the Sayote and let the dish boil for 3-5 mins. Boiling time depends on the cut of your Sayote, the bigger they are, the longer the boiling time.
  4. Add salt or fish sauce to taste.
  5. Serve with hot rice.
When I cooked this morning, I didn't have dahon ng sili nor malunggay, less nutrients but same delightful taste! The boyf couldn't be bothered to go outside with the silly rain anyway. 


Voila! It's that easy! We're going to be having this dish for the rest of the day because we need soup to keep us warm! This rain is driving us nuts. 

There are cold days when I can comfortably lie down in bed while sipping hot chocolate and watching Dexter--this is not one of those days. Please pray for the Philippines and for the fucking politicians who spent our taxes on lavish things leaving the country like this. 

For those who need help or know someone who needs help, take note of the numbers! Be safe everyone!



 photo newsig_zps61fb364d.png

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Subscribe

SnapWidget