Kitchen Chronicles : Paksiw na Tilapia

Tuesday, May 08, 2012

I'm sorry for not being able to post consistently on this blog. I've been a little depressed lately, and I've been mulling over my existence for the past days and my birthday made it worst! I'll write about that on a different blog post, I don't want to spread bad vibes. 

So, moving on. I'm feeling quite domesticated lately, I didn't celebrate my birthday anywhere. I was thinking of getting drunk but I remember how painful it was to vomit the last time it happened. I thought, a staycation with lovey would be nice, 5 days at home with the family and the boyfriend. It was nice but I'm going back to work later. 

And before I do, I thought of sharing a recipe with you! Again if I may say, I'm feeling domesticated. Lol. It's a very simple dish that you can cook anytime, it's most ideal when it's raining! So here goes, drum roll please. Today I'll teach you how to cook, Paksiw na Tilapia! This is my first how-to on cooking so correct me if ever I say something wrong. Haha!

Ingredients!


I tried googling what Tilapia is in English, for readers who are not from the Philippines, the closest that I got was St Peter's Fish. I hope you have it in your neighborhood so you can try this recipe too!

Step 1. 
You will need the ginger, salt, vinegar and the tilapia. In our practice, we put ginger on the bottom of the casserole and on top of the fishes, basically smothering them in ginger. This will help get that fishy stink out. In kampangan cooking, or maybe just in our household (lol), we don't measure ingredients. We just gauge how much of this or that is needed. Hope that helps.

Step 2
Wait for it to simmer down, you will see a change in color. The fish will slightly turn brown. It will probably take around 5 minutes depending on the kind of fish you're using. You can also use Bangus (Milkfish). I think for the tilapia, it took me 5 mins.

Step 3
After it has simmered down, time to put the eggplants and add a glass of water. Use a small glass, you wouldn't want your paksiw overflowing with soup.

Step 4
Wait for the eggplant and the fish to cook. Once the texture of the fish and the eggplant is fine with you, it's fine with me too. Hahaha! Add some salt or vetsin if necessary.

Step 5
After step 4, you can put the sili (chili). Let it boil for 1-2 more minutes. The sili is optional, in our household we like it spicy. Yum. Ready to serve!

Btw, when I was taking photos while cooking this, I noticed that it's not that colorful. Then it came to me, I forgot to put the chili! Stupid. And now I'm doing this step by step tutorial on how to cook it. Lol.

With regard to the measurement, I/we don't really measure. We do the tantsa method. If there's anything I can help you with, feel free to holler. This tutorial is a bit vague but I hope it still helps! Link me your photos or entries if you're going to try it!

Happy Tuesday!

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Subscribe

SnapWidget