Jjapaguri aka Ramdon from Parasite!

Monday, July 13, 2020

Happy Sunday, everyone! It's been a month or so since my last post. I think I'm not alone when I day it's getting tiring. Not b/vlogging, but this limbo that we're in. It's been 4mos since we have been put on lockdown, and right now we still have a lot of different cities and municipalities on varying levels of community quarantine. Flights have been cancelled, celebrations have been re-scheduled and it just feels like our life is on hold. I have so much to say about how this entire thing is being handled in the Philippines, but pause, today, I just want to give my mental health a rest and do the things I love the most. 

So on to the not so heavy stuff, today's recipe is Jjapaguri! I know the 'Parasite' fad is done, but I feel that with a lot of people liking that movie and the current political climate, it's just apt to remind everyone to watch it again and maybe knock your moral compass back in to place lol. Anyway, Jjapaguri (which is a combination of Noshim's Chapagetti + Neoguri) is a popular korean snack popularized through the movie Parasite. I read somewhere that the term Ramdon was coined instead of Jjapaguri to consider the global market of the film. Whatever the term is, all I know is it's so damn good with or without steak cubes so let's get cooking!

Jjapaguri is a dish created by consumers by combining two highly popular instant noodle brands in Korea—Chapagetti (짜파게티) and Neoguri (너구리). Its popularity started in 2013 when this brilliant combination of two distinct noodles was featured in an exceedingly popular Korean TV program. 

Chapagetti is a version of the favored Korean-Chinese noodle dish, jajangmyeon (also spelled jjajangmyeon or chajangmyeon). Interestingly, while there’s nothing Italian about it, the corporate came up with the name “chapagetti” which may be a portmanteau of the words, chajang (blackbean sauce) and spaghetti. Neoguri, on the other hand, is a spicy seafood flavored instant noodle soup with thick and chewy udon-style noodles. 

The combined dish is instant jajangmyeon with a spicy kick and further flavor from the Neoguri soup base. Apparently, the translators of the movie couldn’t translate Jjapaguri into something non-Korean speaking audience could relate, so that they called it “ram-don” within the subtitles from the words “ramen” and “udon.”

INGREDIENTS
tender beef (such as sirloin, ribeye, NY strip)
Salt and Pepper
Butter
Olive oil or other cooking oil
Rosemary
1 pack Chapagetti
1 pack Neoguri

PROCEDURE
1. Season your steak with salt, pepper and rosemary.
2. Heat pan with butter over medium heat. Add the steak and cook until nicely seared.
3. Once the meat is nicely seared. flip it over to sear the other side.
4. Once done with the steak, set aside and let cook. Cut into bite-sized pieces.
5.For the noodles, boil water in a pot. Add one noodle packet and cook halfway through.
6. Once cooked halfway through, add the vegetable packet and simmer for 1 minute.
6. After a minute, take out the water and leave just a little to mix the flavor packets with.
7. Combine thoroughly and add the steak on top and you're done!

Personally I like adding Danmuji (pickled radish) as a side dish together with kimchi and a runny sunny side up egg on top when I eat this dish. But, you do you! Experiment and let me know how it goes. Aside from having this as a snack, I also enjoy eating it with my favorite flavored Soju. But again, do what works for you. If you try this dish, let me know how it turns out. I know it's just Monday but enjoy the rest of the week! ❣


You Might Also Like

0 comments

Subscribe

SnapWidget