Korean Streetfood in Mandaluyong!

Sunday, March 08, 2020

I've been reading about Mandaluyong's thriving food scene and it had had me going all over the area just to scour for my next food adventure. I've always been quite bored, having lived here for roughly 6 years--but I realized that was only because I was lazy. Every now and then a new place pops up and I just never had the energy to check them out. But totally changing that this year and I can say the first 2 mos have been pretty successful. 

First up, this korean streetfood place I discovered as I was walking home. I didn't know it was popular until after I posted a couple of photos on Twitter. Apparently it has been featured on Myx and a lot of bloggers have also posted about it because of the authenticity of the place so I guess why not join in. According to one post that I read, a korean couple owns the place and they also cook the food. However when I visited, the only korean I saw was the person from the cashier but even with that, I still tried it so let's see how it went. 

THE PLACE
I was about to say this is literally a hole-in-the-wall type of place when I realized it's not within walls because it's literally just out there. The place is situated in a vacant parking spot, quite literally in front of actual stalls. The place can get a bit rodwy, chaotic and noisy since it's just beside a bus stop over. While eating, all i can hear were buses honking at each other. It was stressful tbh but I kept thinking it was part of the experience lol. 

The place is clean even if it's beside the road and they cook your food as you order. They also have a very organized ordering and payment system probably devised because from what I've read, people flock the place at night. I dined at around 4PM and I was the only customer so yay bec I hate people lol. 

THE FOOD
For the food I ordered Ramyeun (P120.00), Mandu (P100.00), Odeng (P40.00/stick) and Demisoda (P40.00). I think it complete the whole K-drama street food entourage. I don't know how to explain the authenticity of the food because everything can be bought in a convenience store--literally. Not to shit on the place or anything but, you can really make all these at home. Shin Ramyun is available not just in Korean marts but in practically any mall in the PH, same goes for the Mandu which is also widely available now. The fishcake's broth is a bit tricky to make but still, available in K Marts so I don't know what one means when they stay authentic?

Nonetheless, I enjoyed the overall experience! The food is good and the Demisoda was quite a discovery. I don't like soda but that carbonated drink made me want more. Most of their dishes also come with free kimchi or free soup. For the Ramen, you can also choose the spice level. 
Would I go back? Probably not. While I enjoyed the dining experience one time, I'd rather have all these at the comfort of my own home. I don't have to deal with all the noise brought about by the rowdy buses and all the stares I get from people walking past me. Plus as mentioned, I can make all these at home for a cheaper price so verdict is--I'm staying in. 

K-BAP KOREAN STREETFOOD
Budget : P200 for 2 people
Open daily : 2:00 PM - 11:00 PM
EDSA Shaw (beside Jepoy's Bar and Grill, right before Jollibee)

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Subscribe

SnapWidget