Kitchen Chronicles : Chicken Caldereta

Tuesday, November 13, 2018

I've been on a recipe roll, I guess you've noticed hehe. I worked from home for a week so I was able to spend quality time making quality meals for myself. I was able to make an entire recipe line good for about two weeks and now I'm down to my last 2 recipes. The next dish I'm sharing is a household staple. I actually confuse this dish along with Menudo and Afritada but I read somewhere that they basically have the same base, they just differ on ingredients and on the meat being used. So for today, let's proceed to the recipe which is Chicken Caldereta!

I properly learned about this recipe when I was in college. It was my first bout of independence, and while I usually see my Mom prepare this for us, I never really got the chance to try it. One cold Sunday afternoon, I was craving for my Mom's recipe and decided to try it out on my own. Again, just eyeballing the ingredients and trying to mimic how it tasted. My first try was quite a success but I've improved my method since then. Today I'll be sharing the ~improved~ but still easy version!


INGREDIENTS
Chicken (any part of your preference, I used thigh and leg)
Carrots
Garlic
Onion
Potatoes
Green/Red Bell Pepper
Tomato Sauce
Liver Spread
Salt and Pepper

PROCEDURE:
1. Saute garlic and onion until fragrant. 
2. Once fragrant, add the chicken and saute for about 5 minutes or until the skin turns brown. 
3. Add the tomato sauce. Just eyeball how much you'll need and add more as you go along. 
4. Add water, salt and pepper and do you first taste test. Simmer for about 3 - 5 minutes. 
5. Once you're okay with the flavor, add the carrots, potatoes, bell pepper and liver spread. 
6. Simmer until the carrots and potatoes are cooked to your liking. 
7. Adjust seasoning according to taste. Serve with chili and fish sauce on the side. 

And that's it! Easy peasy, right? A few notes, don't put the entire liver spread. Just take it one tablespoon at a time. Take it easy on the tomato sauce as well. If you put in too much, it'll be harder to remedy in the long run. It also tends to get more sour which means you'd have to put in more seasoning. But overall, I think you can't go wrong with this dish so goodluck. Btw, other versions have green peas and hotdog, I prefer to have those only during fiesta's (lol) but not when I'm cooking. Let me know if you have any questions. Happy cooking!



You Might Also Like

0 comments

Subscribe

SnapWidget