Kitchen Chronicles : Beef Bulgogi

Wednesday, October 03, 2018


Bulgogi, literally "fire meat", is a gui (Korean-style grilled or roasted dish) made of thin, marinated slices of beef or pork grilled on a barbecue or on a stove-top griddle. It is also often stir-fried in a pan in home cooking. Sirloin, rib eye or brisket are frequently used cuts of beef for the dish. The dish originated from the north area of the Korean Peninsula and is very popular in South Korea.In fact, bulgogi is widespread in South Korea, such as at fancy restaurants and at local supermarkets selling pan-ready kits.(via)

I love Beef Bulgogi! Y’all have noticed how I’ve been posting vegetable recipes so I thought why not share something for the carnivores so here I am, sharing one of my favorite dishes of all time! I never really thought of making my own Bulgogi because I always thought it was complex. But of course I had to find a way to make this at home. With the rising price of goods, eating out is starting to feel like a luxury. Just a head up, this is Instant Bulgogi since I basically got all my flavors from a bottle of seasoning but nonetheless, let’s begin!

Ingredients
Beef (ask the butcher at the supermarket for Bulgogi cuts)
White onions
Bulgogi Sauce
Ginger
Sesame Seeds
Salt and Pepper

Procedure
1. Marinate your beef in the bulgogi sauce overnight. You can do 3-4 hrs but I was able to have the optimum taste when I marinated it overnight.
2. Make sure the marinade is enough to cover the beef. Don’t scrimp on the sauce because you can always add water should the taste be too overwhelming.
3. Heat a skillet over medium heat and saute ginger and white onions for about a minute.
4. Cook your beef for about 2-3 minutes. It doesn’t take a lot of time because they’re thinly sliced. You wouldn’t want to overcook the beef because then they become chewy.
5. After 3 minutes, add the onions but don’t overcook them. I prefer a little crunch so I just saute for about 2-3 minutes and voila, you're done!

To be honest, I think this is a fool-proof recipe since you can always add water if the taste is too strong for you. But even with that, it's still mouth-watering! And really easy peasy at that! If you want, you can also add sesame seeds on top or chopped onion leeks as garnish. I wanted mine as simple as possible because I wanted to evaluate the taste and for something ~instant~ this has my 100% approval! If you do try this recipe, let me know how it turns out! 

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Subscribe

SnapWidget