Pepper Steak : Taking On The Great Steak Challenge

Wednesday, September 30, 2015

I love how the evolution of technology makes it easy for chef wannabe's like me to create something from scratch for dinner or baon whenever my Mom is too busy playing Candy Crush and can't be bothered to send her recipes. I've mentioned in my last recipe post how awesome and helpful short video recipes on Facebook can be. Not only do they give me dinner or breakfast ideas, they also teach me how!

One of the recipes I've been eyeing for a long time is How to cook a Steak with Gordon Ramsay; He is only my most favorite chef ever. It seemed very enticing to cook because you'll be done in about 5 minutes. The only problem is, you can't mess up. Well, you can, but there's only a little margin for error. Steak portions aren't necessarily cheap, you know. I didn't religiously follow Gordon's recipe because I was so scared of screwing up so I went with a store-bough seasoning. Ugh, I know you're cringing but I don't really care 'cause I cooked it already, hehe. 

I wasn't sure if my Steak will be well-seasoned if I only use salt, pepper and a few herbs and spices so I went with a store-bought mix. Please don't judge me, huhu. Let's proceed with the recipe because I sort of feel sad justifying why I used store-bough mix, lol. For this recipe, you'll be needing the following :

  • McCormick Grill Mates Pepper Steak
  • T-Bone Steak (or any cut you prefer)
  • Butter
  • Olive Oil

  1. Marinate the steak with the Pepper Steak mix according to package directions. The packaging indicated 30 minutes would be sufficient but I did mine for half a day just to make sure the steak gets to absorb all the flavor. Yeah, I was really paranoid with the flavor, hehe. 
  2. Heat your frying pan over medium heat. I read somewhere that it's best to use an iron cast pan for optimum results. Once it's hot, put some olive oil then the butter. The olive oil will prevent the butter from getting burnt. 
  3. For a 2-cm steak, cook each side for 4 minutes for medium rare. If you want it rare, maybe 2-3 minutes will do. If you want it well done, 5-6 minutes would be perfect. I used to like my steak well done but after trying to cook it on my own, I now prefer medium rare. :)
  4. To test if your steak is cooked to your liking, you can press the center using a pair of tongs. For rare, it should be soft. For medium, it should be a little firmer. And for well done, it should be springy. 
For the gravy, I just used a store-bought mix as well, hehe. I got my gravy mix for McCormick. You just add hot water and mix it until it's smooth. I also added about 2 tablespoons of button mushrooms to try and erase the store-bought feeling, lol. Please don't hate me! I paired my Pepper Steak with a simple Campbell mushroom soup. I also added more button mushrooms and parsley. 

The next time I cook Steak, I'm thinking of doing my own seasoning. The McCormick Pepper Steak was a tad too salty for my taste. I really just have to trust my Gordon Ramsay gut and follow his recipe hoping my version will be as well-seasoned as his. On a brighter note, it's already Wednesday! Time really does fly fast when one is busy. Hope you guys are having an awesome hump day! 

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Subscribe

SnapWidget