Exploring Little Tokyo

Wednesday, March 18, 2015

My earliest recollection of Japanese food was when I was 6 years old. I remember my Uncle, who's the captain of a cargo ship that sails to Japan every so often, was eating raw fish while having his nightly Whiskey dose. It felt odd because the only fish I've had back then was cooked fish, I even remember being grossed out because of the smell. I don't recall how I ended up loving Japanese food so much, but I do. I fucking do. 

I think I've mentioned it several times that if I were to eat only 3 cuisines in my life, Japanese would be one of them. So, when my sister asked me to join her to Little Tokyo, I giddily said yes, regardless if it's in Makati. I hate Makati, ugh.  We rode a cab so I don't think I'm the best person to ask when it comes to directions. I think the instructions here are pretty comprehensive, follow it instead, lol. 

We tried two restaurants, Izakaya Kikufuji for the main meals and Hana for dessert. I listed some of the things you should keep in mind if you plan to visit the place. PS, I also took a lot of photos of myself, hahaha. You can skip the last part if that's something you're not interested in, lol.

Izakaya Kikufuji

Even if everything in Little Tokyo seemed authentically Japanese, I loved Kikufuji's interiors and ambiance. I also love that fact that they have a smoking area inside the air-conditioned establishment and it doesn't even reek of cigarette smoke. The serving is just right given the price of the food. We ordered Sashimi, Katsudon and Tempura. I was told they're really famous for their Yakitori but we didn't get to try it, maybe next time.  I enjoyed the Sashimi because it was fresh, the Katsudon was another enjoyable meal because of the hefty serving. I wasn't quite satisfied with the Tempura because at their price, they could've done with a bit more Shrimp and not just vegetables. Another thing that I was disappointed with was their service. I think it's a given that they get a lot of customers at lunch time, the waitresses, of all people, should know that. The ones who served us were very snobby and it felt like you owe it to them that they gave you the menu or that they served you the water you asked for 30 minutes ago. You work in the service industry, goddamnit. Act the part! Other than that, I was generally satisfied with everything else. Oh, before I forget, they served us with appetizers and can I just say their Spicy Tuna salad is the bomb! If I were to go back, it would be because of that awesome creation. If you plan to go there around lunch time, they're only open from 11:30AM - 1:00PM.

Hana

After our meal, we decided to have dessert at Hana. The seats outside looked enticing and I was told that it's lovelier at night. We plan on going back in the evening so we get to compare the experience. Dining there at lunch time wasn't less charming, if anything, we sort of owned the place because there were just 3 groups eating at that time and we were free to take photos and practically play around. For dessert we had Banana Parfait, Kakigori (shaved ice) and Takoyaki! Yeah, Takoyaki for dessert, lol. There was nothing special with the Banana Parfait, the Kakigori on the other hand was awesome! You have an option to add Milk, Red beans and ice cream for the full experience. It's a bit pricey at P220 if you get all of the add-ons but for me it was worth it. The Takoyaki was also a winner, 6 filling pieces at P120 is not bad at all. Service was prompt and the staff was courteous. Overall, I had an awesome time!

My experience may not be the most pleasant of all because I was really pissed with Kikufuji's service but I'll definitely come back so I get to experience how delightful it is at night. I wasn't able to try their spirits as well, so that's something to look forward to. I hope you're having an awesome hump day! Let's give ourselves a pat on the back for making it halfway through the week, lol.

Little Tokyo is located at 2277 Chino Roces Avenue, Legaspi Village, Makati City. 

Izakaya Kikufuji

Budget - P300 - P400 / person
02 8937319 | 11 AM to 1:30 PM, 5:30 PM to 10:30 PM
Izakaya Kikufuji Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato

Hana
Budget - P300 - P600
02 8288471 | 11:30 AM to 2:30 PM, 6 PM to 11 PM
Hana Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato

You Might Also Like

11 comments

Subscribe

SnapWidget