Food Diary : Tio Boris' Gotong Batangas

Saturday, October 24, 2020

I was supposed to go to bed early until I saw this in my drafts. Since this pandemic started, I haven't really done anything useful or productive outside of work. I mean sure I get work done and I get to upload a couple of youtube videos every now and then but that's pretty much it. I wanted to instill some sense of normalcy so I still continued uploading youtube videos, but really, I was stuck in this pandemic blackhole where I'm confused--I didn't really know what I'm supposed to do. My plants were put on hold, my flights were cancelled and I;m just dumbfounded how we've been on lockdown for 8mos and we're no close to seeing the end. And all this happening at my prime, the time where I'm supposed to be making something out of myself, seeing the world and everything else in between you know. I was just in that blackhole trying to figure out how to go through this mentally, emotionally and socially. 

I wouldn't say I'm totally out of that hole but I've managed to adapt a little; re-adjust my plans, line my eggs and prioritize things I need to do. At this point I'm seeing a lot of businesses closing, some starting anew and all I really want to do is help anyone stay afloat. So, apologies if you found that intro lengthy but that's what this feature is all about anyway--another small business trying to stay afloat.  

THE PLACE
During the entirety of this quarantine, I haven't really gone outside so eat so I can't tell much about the space but I do know they're open for dine-in. I got my order through delivery because I'm very paranoid about COVID so even if they do sanitize their dine-in spot, I still wouldn't recommend eating there. Delivery is available anyway so another hassle-free way to get your craving. Just make sure you still also sanitize even if it's through delivery. I sanitize the plastic, etc. I also tell them not to put plastic cutlery anymore since I won't be using them anyway. Safer and less waste for nature. Tio Boris' Gotong Batangas is a local, small business located in Malolos City, Bulacan. I've been quarantining here since June so this was on my radar. 

THE FOOD
I was thrilled to try this because I've heard and read only good things about Gotong Batangas. Gotong Batangas is a filipino dish soup, but unlike the typical goto, it's made of tender beef tripe and other innards responsible for the thick consistency and its distinct taste. It's usually served with a side of soy sauce, onions, calamansi and chili. It's also not served like goto because this is supposed to be eaten with rice! I mean, what a treat right? As a huge fan of rice you can already tell I was too excited to try. When I was shooting this, I couldn't even be bothered to take more shots of the food in different angles because I was starving. I first had a sip of the soup and it instantly reminded me of Papaitan minus the bitter taste. I then proceeded to put it on top of my steaming rice, generously adding the toyomansi + chili + onion mixture. The first bite was divine! It was hugely because it resembled papaitan a lot but it also had its distinct taste. Best eaten with a lot of onions and I also added more chopped green onions on the soup.

Will I give it another go? Definitely! This is probably the third best hangover soup on my list. Well, first being Bulalo (self-explanatory), and Papaitan next which is like the father of Gotong Batangas anyway so y'all get the drift. If you guys are from Batangas and have tried the authentic Gotong Batangas, is it similar to the one I've tried? Let me know! Bccause with the way things are going, I'm looking at 2022 before I can safely travel again without that guilt at the back of my head. 

Budget : P65 - P100 / pax
0906 416 5678 for reservations/delivery
McArthur highway Palimbang Calumpit Bulacan
Landmarks: Petron and Phoenix Gas station, UPPC, Dra. Roxas Dental Clinic

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Subscribe

SnapWidget