Korean Pickled Onions ala Samgyupsalamat!

Sunday, February 23, 2020

Happy Sunday, everyone! My morning and afternoon has been pretty productive so I thought I'd top if off with another update on the blog. I've been quite happy with how frequent I've been posting on my little space on the internet and I hope it's benefiting y'all. I've been curating recipes to share para naman may kwenta mga pinagsshare ko lol. So todaaaay, I decided to share another recipe!

I've been trying to write and film my recipes as I go along. The only problem I have while doing this is that my kitchen is not well-lit and when I do cooking videos, I have to do it beside the window and use a portable stove instead of the tabletop stove. I'm getting by but I'm trying to start with these easy ones where I don't have to use the stove yet 'cause butane ain't cheap y'know--but I'm getting there! I've been working on lighting the past few weeks and once I get my setup right I'll be sharing more recipe with videos! But today, let's get it on with an easy one--korean pickled onions!

Photo credit : Samgyupsalamat Facebook Page
INGREDIENTS
1 large onion
1/2 cup soy sauce
1/2 cup sugar
1 cup vinegar
1 cup water

PROCEDURE
1. Cut onion into bite-sized pieces. Then place all of the onion pieces into an air-tight container (use a Tupperware with an airtight lid or a mason jar). 
2. Take out a small pot. Pour in the pickling ingredients. Bring up to boil.
3. Once it comes to boil, turn it off immediately.  
4. While the soy sauce is hot, pour it in over the onions. It should be just enough liquid to cover the onions.
5. Lock the lid and let the container sit at room temperature for 1 day. 
6. After 1 day, place the Tupperware into the refrigerator.
7. Once chilled, it is ready to eat.

NOTE
1. This banchan will keep in the refrigerator for 1-2 weeks.
2. Best served as a side dish to grilled meat but also works well with pretty much anything! I personally love having it with fried eggs in the morning.

There you have it! Easy peasy side dish recipe you can try next time you do your own samgyupsal party at home. And it's not just for korean barbeque, you can pretty much add this to anything since the taste is pretty neutral. A little tangy, a little sweet and a little salty but not too overpowering! Let me know if you try this recipe because I have a ton more pickled recipes in store. Enjoy the rest of the week!


You Might Also Like

0 comments

Subscribe

SnapWidget