Kitchen Chronicles : Ginataang Labong with Saluyot

Wednesday, September 12, 2018

I didn't always like vegetables. I think I also said the exact same thing on my previous recipe, lol! I vividly remember the days where I'd do frail attempts in trying to ~look~ like I actually touched my vegetables orrrr return them to the pot when my Mom wasn't looking. I don't know why I had so much aversion for something so good and nutritious when I was younger but I guess we all go through that stage. 

But of course now, I'm obsessed with vegetables! When I started sending my sister to school, I started eating more vegetables because they were the cheaper option lol. But I guess I can't say that anymore due to the inflation. The prices are crazy! The chili pepper may be overkill but doesn't mean we ain't bearing the weight?? Have you guys seen what your PhP 1000 can get at the groceries nowadays?? But anyway, if you want to fite me on that, follow me on Twitter. I'm just here to bring y'all the recipe so let's start!

Ingredients
Labong (Bamboo shoots)
Saluyot (Jute leaves)
Onions
Garlic
Ginger
Coconut cream/milk
Salt and pepper
Dried shrimp
Chili (optional)

Procedure
1. Before cooking, soak the labong in water for about 30mins to 1hr. 
2. Heat the saucepan and saute onions, garlic, ginger and chili until fragrant. 
3. Add the dried shrimp and labong and simmer for about 10-15 minutes. 
4. Add the coconut milk, saluyot, salt and pepper. 
5. Adjust the taste according to your preference. 

Notes:

Okay so a few notes on the recipe just in case some thing weren't clear. I usually soak my labong for an hour because the ones I get from the grocery have some funky smell. But the really fresn ones from the market, I don't soak anymore. The chili is optional because my god, have you seen the prices? Lolkl. A lot of people don't take heat as well so you can opt to add the chili towards the end. And if you guys are clueless about the dried srhimp, here's what they look like.  Instead of using shrimp cubes, I use the dried shrimps instead for the flavor. And that's it, you got yourself a decent meal to go with that super expensive rice that not NFA. Let me know if some of my other instructions were unclear, will be happy to answer everything. Happy cooking!


You Might Also Like

0 comments

Subscribe

SnapWidget