Food Diary : Soru Izakaya

Friday, March 01, 2019

Even if I love Japanese cuisine, y'all know I'm not fond of rolls. Sashimi is what I devour whenever I go on my planned and unplanned Japanese splurges. I find rolls boring—no disrespect to anyone who loves them But I just feel that the flavors are so bland even with soy sauce. I used to be obsessed with California Maki but with the way they’re made in most places, I just taste a lot of rice, tiny bits of Kani and that’s it. With that I always thought, my mind was made up. Sashimi over sushi rolls, all day every day. Well, that was until my recent discovery. 

THE PLACE
Soru Izakaya is located near our office which made me so excited to try it because then I’d have a new place to frequent aside from Genki Sushi, lol. Parking is sufficient because it’s along the compound of home depot which has an entire row of available parking slots. The place is spacious and well lit, with the second floor compartmentalized as the place for drinks. I also loved the contemporary Japanese art on the industrial walls. 

THE FOOD
Okay, how do I begin? When I said rolls are boring, I think I was just going to the wrong places hahahaha. I mean you can take a look at the photos and tell me yourself. Obviously everything I’ve had from this restaurant I loved. The rolls are precious! Some notable favorites would be the Gyu Maki, Tori Kasai Maki and Lava Roll. Not only is the presentation colorful, the taste would really leave you wanting for more because of the explosion of flavors. And if you get bored with soy sauce, you don’t have to worry because each set has a customized dip. 

Another favorite would be the Udon Carbonara, I mean, how perfect can it get? I don’t like Carbonara but I love Uni. And guess what, this dish was made creamier with the addition of Uni and Salmon. It was so creamy I felt like I went to Uni heaven after my first bite which included a hefty amount of perfectly cooked Salmon. Not to mention it’s topped with Ikura! When they said fusion food is their specialty, they weren’t joking. 

Other notable favorites would be the Saikoro Wagyu Cubes Tepan which falls a bit pricey at P490.00 but it isn’t one of those fake ~wagyu cubes~ so you’re sure to get your money’s worth. My favorite rice bowl on the other hand was Gyudon, served with Onsen egg on top. Make sure to mix everything up before having your first bite—ahh perfection! To finish my meal, I had the Tiramisu and it was divine. With the coffee fingers perfectly complimenting the cream cheese, cocoa and practically everything. This also falls a bit on the pricey side at P230 per slice but again if you trust me, you know I’m not big on desserts but this was really a winner for me, 

Some of the things that I did like, but felt that they can improve on would be 1) Pork Belly Teppan – not sure if this is cooked the same way as the Wagyu teppan but it tasted bland and unseasoned. 2) Meiji Kare – I love curry and this one did hit it right with the flavors but it lacks sauce. Curry is supposed to be saucy and this one was on the dry side. Also, a little more spice wouldn’t hurt. 

With that will I be coming back? With my moments the answer leaves a little for your imagination. But if you really want to know, check the video out and find out my reaction. Make sure to subscribe if you haven’t yet. Have an awesome weekend!

SORU IZAKAYA
Budget : P1200 for 2 people
Open daily from 11:00 AM - 2:00 AM
Techno Point Building, Julia Vargas Avenue, Ugong, Pasig City

Soru Izakaya Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato


You Might Also Like

0 comments

Subscribe

SnapWidget