Food Diary : Silkworm Pupa aka Beondegi 번데기

Wednesday, February 08, 2017

First off, if the title puts you off, I don't recommend going through this post at all. I've tried to keep the photos to a minimum, but there's a video attached. If you're not into eating bugs and insects, you can skip this post, *wink*! But if you're into that kind of stuff, then read on! You guys all know I've been addicted to Korean food and cooking since last year, and while doing my food research, I came across one popular street food I wanted to try--Silkworm Pupa aka Beondogi!

Beondegi (Korean: 번데기) is a snack food in Korean cuisine. Literally meaning "chrysalis" or "pupa" in Korean, Beondegi are steamed or boiled silkworm pupae which are seasoned and eaten as a snack. Beondegi are often served by street vendors, as well as in restaurants and drinking establishments. They are also sold in cans in grocery stores and convenience stores, but they must be boiled in water before serving. Beondegi is not always sold in the market and is usually sold from street vendors, although it is possible to buy the live variant for personal preparation. (via)

The boyfriend and I are both suckers for exotic food! We were putting in on our to-do list for when we go to Korean, but luckily while scouring one Korean mart for my daily Korean snack fix, I changed upon canned Beondegi! I've seen b/vloggers try it, so I was ecstatic when I saw it since I've been wanting to try it to. I immediately grabbed on and took it home with me. Coaxed the boyfriend into eating it with me and essentially made a video out of it, haha! If you want to know more, please watch my latest video on Youtube. Subscribe if you haven't already. Enjoy! 


You Might Also Like

0 comments

Subscribe

SnapWidget